Pure 5- HTP – Choose the best one
5 HTP is abbreviated as 5 Hydroxytryptophan. 5 HTP is naturally synthesized in the human body from the breakdown of the amino acid named tryptophan. Tryptophan is found in every day foods that are rich in protein like poultry, eggs, pumpkin, green beans, nuts, red meats and lentils. Pure 5 HTP is known as Griffonia Simplicifolia and from past few years many people are using for weight loss, to relieve pain, mood enhancement and to improve symptoms of depression and anxiety. But, buying pure 5 HTP with non reputed vendors is not advisable since they add additives to pills.
5 HTP, after breaking down from supplements or tryptophan breakdown travels to the brain through blood stream and later converts in to serotonin- a neurotransmitter.
But enough tryptophan is not attained only in the form of diet and in such cases additional supplementation of 5 HTP is necessary. Before purchasing pure 5 HTP supplements from pharmacies, check Certificate of Analysis which is only issued to certified manufacturer. Always buy 5 HTP supplements from authorized dealer to get original products. According to a study 5 HTP supplements should not be consumed more than 12 weeks. Individuals who are undergoing surgery should stop fortnight before surgery. It is also imperative to choose the best among the top brands of 5-HTP.
Benefits of pure 5 HTP
- 5 HTP is a serotonin booster and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- The supplements improve sleep patterns and decreases appetite resulting in weight loss to some extent.
- There are various benefits of 5 HTP for the brain and the body.
- Tryptophan is essential amino acid and should be consumed in the form of diet or supplements.
- In the brain 5 HTP is used by the body to synthesize serotonin and melatonin.
- Serotonin function in various ways like- helps in contractions of muscles of small intestine during the process of digestion.
- Serotonin regulates happiness and calm feelings.
- Melatonin helps in sleep and wakes up cycles in animals and helps them maintain regular sleep pattern.
- Individuals suffering from low serotonin levels experience low self confidence, low self esteem, severe anxiety, mood swings as well as agitation.
- Few people suffer from severe serotonin deficiency and in that case 5- HTP supplementation is necessary.
- Individuals suffering from low serotonin should also in take serotonin rich diet along with medication.
5-HTP is a very common item which is available in all drug stores, health and nutritional supply stores and also on many websites online. It is also very affordable. It is advised to start with a low dosage of 50 mg per intake to be consumed thrice a day half an hour before a meal. A physician should be consulted prior to increasing the dosage or in case of any side-effects.
Dietary Sources of 5 HTP:
This chemical is not found in this form in foods – it manifests as L-tryptophan and is found in red meat, poultry, peanuts, seafood and other dairy products.